Saturday, February 27, 2016

Miss B

Today would be five years since I last saw Miss B, 
a tower inside the classroom opening the folds of a book

read aloud English words that do not sound gibberish 
to teenage ears, filled with hormones and rap

at fourteen, mine were stuffed with soft padded lyrics
a little of Frost's poem and Miss B's voice

that trails in the corridor with a whiff of her 
half Arab, half Persian perfume 

clack of her heels on the ground, we were into the details 
that allowed us to speak perfectly to work for something other 

than what we will receive upon leaving the room
vaporized like old detergent

this is how I remember Miss B, a hug on the doorway 
that had to give me five more seconds as a child 

stuck into what will soon become an adult's world 
of trying too hard to get into the same circle 

of reading Murakami in plain daylight
but this is how I will always remember Miss B

with stories she left in my lap
with a turquoise brochure at my desk 
that reminds me every single day that some rejections 
only aim to move us, like a bow to target.


No comments:

Post a Comment